Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ice dyeing

I finally got my ice dyeing pieces ironed so here are pictures of them. The first photo shows them after they have been soaked in soad ash and are ready to go into the freezer. I know some have been doing snow dyeing and used turquoise without much luck but I used turquoise and caymen island green on several of these pieces and batched for 24+ hrs and the colors did very well.








This is the first set before and after dyeing, they were all done in cups.








Next set, top row done in cups, bottom row done in ziplocs









Done in ziplocs













Done in ziplocs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice fabrics Vicky but I'm a bit confused what's the difference between ice dyeing and snow dyeing? I'm not sure what you do for dyeing it in the freezer.

Judi said...

Those turned out great.

Did I understand that you soaked your fabric in soad ash, froze it then added dye and let thaw? How did you apply the dye and how long did you let them bach.

Thelma said...

Very nice Vicky! This is something I want to try too.

imquilternity said...

They are all beautiful, but I especially love the greens in the last photo. Now this is something I can try. Thanks for sharing. -Terri

Joanna said...

How cool! I've never heard of ice dying before!